I never got into the whole journaling thing so I think this is where I will put my thoughts...

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I have made it over the block

So for those of you who don't play music you might not under stand this post, but you should read it through as you may learn something.

For the past 8 months I have been at a point in my guitar playing that I couldn't really improve by myself. As you may or may not know, I am self taught. Late in the summer I started to get some electric guitar lessons with Sven. He showed me some really cool stuff and allowed me improve.

A few months later being now... I have recently figured out with some degree of understanding how notes in scales work. I have always known that In the key of G what noted I could play, but I never really understood it well enough to transpose in my head to different keys. Well friends I am happy to let you know that I have figured out this whole numbering system. It takes me a little bit to send it through my head but I get it now!!!!

This is really exciting for me as I have been trying for a while but it wasn't until recently that it sunk in.

I guess it takes time to learn and grow but I am glad that I now know how to do it. Who knows in a couple months time I will be able to play just by numbers!!!!

I know this post probably doesn't make sense to a bunch of you but hey, it makes sense to me and I like it!!!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's nothing quite like that feeling of progression eh? The sudden realisation that you now understand a concept or can perform a task that was previously out of reach.

For me that was listening through my most recent mix and realising that, apart from a technical malfunction, I can actually spin a pretty good mix set. Good to my ears anyway.

May the Lord continue to bless us musically and may we always look to him as the author of the idea of music.

7:39 PM

 
Blogger beth said...

yay, i'll buy you a drink JBOX!!!
b dawg

4:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

functional harmony, functional melody and scale degrees-good on ya Jon-this is something anyone who does absolutely anything to do with music really, really, really needs to uunderstand.

Matthew

10:37 PM

 
Blogger Sgt Steve said...

your mom's in the key of G...

1:17 PM

 
Blogger Andrew G said...

fantastic buddy... you're becoming an incredible musician

2:31 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home